Sunday, September 7, 2014

Between the Cracks and Burning Doors: Prequel to The Extraction List Series

BOOK INFORMATION (Goodreads)

Cain Foley committed his first murder before he could even drive a car. Not that he would've had anywhere to drive to. When he was fifteen, America was one of the poorest countries in the world, and its' citizens took their hatred of that fact out on each other through gangs and violence. Children that were barely tall enough for carnival rides peppered the streets selling drugs (or themselves) so they could buy their next meal. 

Every night on the news, Cain watched as an angelic blonde woman who lost her own child swore she'd end it. She assaulted America's televisions with praise for the Parental Morality Law: a set of rules that spells out exactly what it takes to be a parent in the eyes of the government, and the consequences of breaking those rules. He prayed every night that she would come and rescue him before his father took his belt off again. 

Before she could save him, Cain faced a fatal choice: fight back or die on the basement floor. 

He chose life. 

Now on the run, he finds himself being hunted by a police officer with his own special brand of torture. Before he can save even a handful of children who have been swept up in the gang life, he must first cover up not one, but two murders: his father's, and one committed by a teenage madam who is either the love of his life, or his final undoing. As he feels himself being pushed further and further to the edge, he realizes that surviving his father was just the beginning.


Genres: Dystopian, Science Fiction
Formats: paperback
Number of pages: 161 pages
Publisher: Quandary Hill Publishing
Expected Publishing Date: July 1, 2014
Language: English
ASIN: B00LGCM4VY 
                                                         My Rating:
I never win anything.  Truly, I don't even know why I try, but this time..this time I won!!!!
I won this book by Renee Meland in a goodreads contest and while I had never heard of it, or The Extraction List Series, I was more than willing to give it a try.  And to boot, I am using it for week 2 of the #fallfortheindiebook2014 challenge on goodreads! Check it out!


Keep in mind too, I have not read The Extraction Series, so my rating is based solely on this book alone.  Ok, on to the review...

We get to know a little about Cain Foley and the place he called home.  And in the first paragraph, the last sentence...
"For my first kill, I accidentally killed my father when I beat him to death with a pipe"
What?  Anyways, it wasn't much of a home..as if you couldn't tell from that one line!  He was abused both verbally and physically by his father and one fateful night, everything changed, it was his life or his fathers and he chose his.  He ran from the scene of his crime after his mother found him and stated she would take care of the problem.  

"I was now public enemy number 1"

This is where he meets Dom, a priest, in an alley, getting beat to a pulp. 
I mean, gruesome much??  However, he saved the priests life and in return the priest allowed him to take up with him.  It was here that he began to see what having a family meant, someone to look after him and actually care about what happens to him.

"The idea of "we"--a family or a friendship, for that matter--was something I only saw while looking out my bedroom window.."

He found that family when he took up for Dom when he had to leave for a little while.  In comes Maureen. You really hated to love her, but you think of the empire she built for herself and think wow, she had to do something to survive this awful world they are living in!  Cain takes up with her as well.


"I don't know what I had expected Maureen to look like, but the woman in front of me definitely wasn't it.  Barely sixteen, her dark green eyes stared at me, looking me over from the bottom of my feet to the top of my head."

The premise of this book is actually quite scary, because like with most dystopian novels, you can see it happening.  America being the poorest country around.  Little kids joining gangs, just doing what they can to survive this cruel world.  Hmm..sound familiar??  There wasn't much meat to this novel, I mean, it was a prequel, but it was enough to give you the chills, and leaves you wanting more!! 

At the end of the book, you're frustrated, surprised, and angry, or at least I was.  Ms. Meland has a way with her words that just leaves you begging for more.  It was so amazingly written that I finished it in just a few short hours, and that was only because I had two kids to tend too! It just leaves you saying....
And you don't even truly know why.  Is it because it's so realistic it's scary?? Or is it because Ms. Meland's writing is just so beautiful you think "Dang it! This is another series I have to read!" And for people like me, that TBR list just keeps getting longer and longer and longer.  And it now has another series to add to it! Well played Renee, well played.

 So don't take my word for it, go check it out for yourself..and tell me you aren't mesmerized!!!


~*~This is for week two of the #fallfortheindiebook2014 challenge.  Go check it out HERE~*~

No comments:

Post a Comment