Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Hex Hall

BOOK INFORMATION (Goodreads)

Three years ago, Sophie Mercer discovered that she was a witch. It's gotten her into a few scrapes. Her non-gifted mother has been as supportive as possible, consulting Sophie's estranged father—an elusive European warlock—only when necessary. But when Sophie attracts too much human attention for a prom-night spell gone horribly wrong, it's her dad who decides her punishment: exile to Hex Hall, an isolated reform school for wayward Prodigium, a.k.a. witches, faeries, and shapeshifters.
By the end of her first day among fellow freak-teens, Sophie has quite a scorecard: three powerful enemies who look like supermodels, a futile crush on a gorgeous warlock, a creepy tag-along ghost, and a new roommate who happens to be the most hated person and only vampire student on campus. Worse, Sophie soon learns that a mysterious predator has been attacking students, and her only friend is the number-one suspect.
As a series of blood-curdling mysteries starts to converge, Sophie prepares for the biggest threat of all: an ancient secret society determined to destroy all Prodigium, especially her.

Genres: Young Adult, Fantasy, Paranormal, Magic, Vampires, Witches,
Formats: paperback, kindle, ebook
Number of pages: 323 pages
Publisher: Hyperion Book CH
Expected Publishing Date: March 2, 2010
Language: English
ISBN: 1423121309

My Rating:
I needed an audiobook to be able to take with me on my long drive to Michigan.  I really wasn't sure what I was going to listen to, because, well I'm not a huge fan of audiobooks.  However, I came across Hex Hall and I was interested.  Firstly, it has my love for all things paranormal, plus..I've seen it before and was curious to read it, but just never got around to it.  So with that being said, I got it through the library and listened..I wasn't disappointed!

We meet Sophie Mercer, a witch whom has grown up in the mortal world.  She came into her powers when she was thirteen and has never known how to control them, never knew her ability, or anything really about that part of her.  She ends up trying a love spell for a mortal friend and goes a little overboard, which lands her in Hex Hall.

There she meets a coven of "dark witches" Elody, Anna, and Chastin, they need a fourth to complete their coven.  Sophie isn't buying.  She really has no desire to join their coven at all, especially since she doesn't understand what it entails either.  She begins to become close to the one vampire at the school, which also happens to be her roommate, Jenna.  

While Sophie is trying to understand the extent of her powers, while also going through the normal teenage high school experience that includes the ever loving hotness named Archer; She begins to learn why everyone is so hard on her.  Who her dad really is, how her family came to their powers, and tries to unlock the mystery as to why the witches of the coven are being targeted.  Soon she gets the answers she has been looking for, but doesn't necessarily like the answer she gets.  Especially when she sees the ghost that has been following her since she got to Hex Hall.

Sophie's relationship with Archer is a confusing, sad and yet exciting one.  Archer is a warlock at the school and the first encounter he had with her was saving her.  He had a soft spot for Sophie, though he was with Elody.  You start to really get to know Archer and really wish he'd just break it off with Elody already and get with Sophie.  But towards the end, you just want to smash the book down! Or...in my case...turn it off?? You don't want to hear what's coming! And quite frankly, I saw it coming, just didn't want to believe it!

All in all, I really liked Hex Hall.  I thought it was an interesting take on all of the paranormal out there, the witches, the fae, the vampires ect..it had it all! My favorite character...I don't know how to pick just one.  I really liked Sophie, which is hard for me in most books I don't always like the main character.  I thought she had a good heart, she really cared about people and really wanted to learn everything that she could.  Maybe reading it vs having it read to me would have changed this, but it just didn't seem like she was a whiner or a moper, which I really liked! 

I gave this 4/5 stars, I wouldn't re-read it, but I definitely would recommend it.  It's an awesome, interesting take of the modern world, humans being oblivious to the paranormal world and just what exactly goes on when you mess with magic!

Happy Reading,
*This Book was Read as Week 7 of the #Fallfortheindiebook2014 Challenge on goodreads.  Check it out: Here


No comments:

Post a Comment