Thursday, July 3, 2014

The Fault In Our Stars


BOOK INFORMATION (Goodreads)

Despite the tumor-shrinking medical miracle that has bought her a few years, Hazel has never been anything but terminal, her final chapter inscribed upon diagnosis. But when a gorgeous plot twist named Augustus Waters suddenly appears at Cancer Kid Support Group, Hazel's story is about to be completely rewritten.

Genres: Young Adult, Romance, Contemporary, Realistic Fiction, Drama
Formats: Kindle, Nook, Paperback
Number of pages: 318 pages
Publisher: Dutton Books
Publishing Date: January 10, 2014
Language: English
ISBN: 0525478817
My Rating:

I truly was scared to pick up this book and read it. Honestly.  I had so many people tell me how good it was, how I needed to read it and fast! However, the subject matter hit really close to home. So I pushed it aside and read something else..and then I'd see it on my IPad causing various emotions in me..Ok..maybe just one...
Alas, when I hear about a book being made into a movie, I bite the bullet and insist on reading it before it comes out.  I mean, how can I not??  So..I digress..
I can honestly see why everyone loved this book.  Even in dealing with the heartbreaking and truthful subject matter, the whole three quarters of the book tended to be light-hearted, funny and..well just cute!  The relationship and dry humor between Augustus and Hazel was very warming and comforting, even with the "ticking-time bomb" (Hazel's words, not mine) that she was.  Hazel and Augustus really complimented each other.  They both taught the other one things they may have never known otherwise. However, I fell in love with that careless attitude that Augustus had...Yes..I had a book crush on a one legged boy..and???  The sweetness and tenderness that he showed Hazel..being her crutch almost..helping her to see the world, to help her live a little..It just made him such an amazing and lovable character! Ok, Hazel was lovable too, just in a different way!

The plot, well for me there really wasn't a "roller-coaster" ride.  That being said..it was an emotional ride, but instead of a roller-coaster, it was more like a paddle boat on a lake.  There didn't tend to be lots of up's and down's, just a story that headed out on an open road....And then BAM! You hit a brick wall and this story just completely does a 180. It leaves you asking..
 

You're struck..You're down for the count..The last third of the book you just have..

You can't think, you can't eat (or over eat depending on if you are an emotional eater) and you just cry.  You cry until your eyes can't cry any more and then you want to curl up into your little bed and have a sobfest because there's no way to prepare, regardless of weak and feeble attempts before beginning the book.  

And then, the calmness sets in.  You realize just what these characters did for you.  They helped you to understand that life..all life..is terminal and that we need to live life to the fullest, regardless of the circumstances.  And that ladies and gentlemen is the greatest gift you can give yourself, your friends, and your family (not necessarily in that order).  I highly recommend this book! Is it depressing?

But it doesn't keep you from coming away with a better outlook on life.  You'll love it...after you spend two weeks crying! 

No comments:

Post a Comment